With proper care, your wooden board from Tuckahoe Hardwoods should last a lifetime. Follow these simple instructions to keep your board looking beautiful.
1. Boards should never soak in water or go through the dishwasher. This can cause them to warp or crack. Simply wash your board with warm soapy water and dry it off. You should wash both sides of the board when you wash it. Getting just one side of a wood board wet can cause one side to warp over time.
2. After washing, dry the board thoroughly. It is best to store the board either hanging or standing on edge, so both large sides get completely dry. Make sure you store your board in a dry area, not on a wet countertop, as it will not allow the wood to dry properly.
3. We use a food grade mineral oil on our boards, and I recommend this as well. Some people will do this about twice a month. Others twice a year. Depending on how much you use your board, the oil will keep it fresh. Food grade mineral oil is the preferred oil for this, as it is food safe, inexpensive and will not go rancid as some other oils can. Apply the oil evenly to the entire board with a lint-free microfiber cloth. You do not need enough oil to puddle on the board - just enough to coat the board. Let the oil soak in and dry for 3-4 hours on its side, just as when you wash and dry it normally.
4. For best performance, a wax/oil cream can be used to coat the board and lock the oil in and give a protective layer. A homemade mixture of organic beeswax and your food grade mineral oil is great for this. There are also many of these on the market such as Boos Board Cream. This should be applied liberally to the entire board, allowed to dry, then buffed off to give your board a beautiful luster and shine.
5. If you have any questions on board care, please feel free to contact us here at Tuckahoe Hardwoods and we will be happy to help. Enjoy your real wood cutting board from Tuckahoe Hardwoods!
Contact Us -- Shop Boards